close
close
The judge orders us to bring Maryland man back from the El Salvador prison

play

Greenbelt, Md. – A federal judge said on Friday that the Trump government acted illegally when she deported a father in Maryland to El Salvador and ordered to return to the United States.

“This was an illegal act,” said US district judge Paula Xinis from Maryland about the deportation of Kilmar Abrego Garcia.

Xinis gave the administration on Monday to bring it back to the USA until 11:59 p.m.

The 29-year-old Abrego Garcia was one of the hundreds of alleged members of criminal police officers MS-13 and Venezuelas Tren de Aragua, the government, which was excluded from the USA last month to El Salvador.

Abrego Garcia, who had fled as a teenager from El Salvador to escape the violence of the gangs, was stopped and arrested on March 12 by federal immigration agents near his house in Baltsville, Maryland. He was excluded three days later and sent back to El Salvador, although he had won a court decision six years earlier, which held away.

The Trump government confirmed in court files at the beginning of this week that his deportation was a mistake that it attributed to an “administrative error”. But the US government says that it has no responsibility to order his return because it is in a foreign country.

The wife of Abrego Garica, Jennifer Vasquez Sura, and her 5-year-old son, who are both US citizens, have sued the government who demanded his return.

The hearing on Friday was a reaction to this lawsuit.

The court order for the protection of Abrego Garcia before the distance from the United States was created from an earlier case.

In March 2019 he was arrested in front of a home depot in Hyattsville, Maryland, where he was looking for work after a confidential informant testified that, according to state lawyers, he was an active member of the MS-13 gang. His lawyers say that he was not a member of MS-13, and the government had hardly offered evidence to underpin their claim.

A court assigned to El Salvador, but Abrego Garcia applied for asylum and asked for protection after the United Nations Convention against torture. In court files, he said that he had come to the United States because the Barrio 18 gang, which is with MS-13 rivals, blackmailed him and his family for their Puppusa business in her district of San Salvador and put him under pressure to join the gang.

A US immigration judge found that he was deportable, but in October 2019 there was an arrangement that protected him from removal.

The arrest and deportation of Abrego Garcia to El Salvador was condemned by supporters and other lawyers for immigrant rights.

Minutes before the hearing on Friday, which are led by people in Rosa West – reading “Rapid Response Choir” – could be heard from the rally before the Federal Court in the suburb in Maryland. A few police officers were at the side. The chants, which demanded the release of Abrego Garcia, continued after the hearing started.

Follow Eduardo Cuevas on X @eduardomcuevas and Michael Collins @MCollinsnews.

(Tagstotranslate) Immigration

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *