This should be the year in which the films have been poured back. But when the Cinemacon Trade Convention begins in Las Vegas on Monday, the theater owners hope for signs that 2025 will be on the right track again.
The box office has achieved a terrible start and thrown back from top-class flops such as Disney’s live action “Snow White”, superhero sequel “Captain America: Brave New World” and bizarre sci-fi “Mickey 17”.
The 1.3 billion US dollars previously taken in North America in North America are seven percent below a slim first quarter of 2024, which derailed even due to the massive Hollywood strike in the previous year.
All of this is an industry that has never fully returned to pre-Pandemic profit levels and has adopted the motto “Survive to ’25” informally.
The annual Cinemacon Summit in the Caesars Palace Casino is an important opportunity for Hollywood studios to present their upcoming films to theater owners – and hopefully to inspire a little trust that the good times come back.
“The box office is in the garbage dumps. We need a recovery. We need more films,” said Daniel Loria, Senior Vice President at The Boxoffice Company.
“It’s really a good timing, because that’s exactly what we will get out of the Cinemacon,” he said recently in a podcast.
– Spidey and Bond? – –
The event begins on Monday evening with a presentation by Sony Pictures, the home of the very popular “Spider -Man” films.
The studio is expected to tease films such as “28 years later” this summer, an apocalyptic horror continuation by Danny Boyle with Jodie Comer, Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Ralph Fiennes.
Later a week, Amazon MGM will give a large presentation just a few days after the unveiling of new producers for the James Bond franchise, which acquired billions of dollars.
Warner Bros. is desperately recovered by flops such as “Mickey 17” and “The Alto Knights” -a Robert de Niro film in which only 5 million US dollars worldwide cost on his last opening weekend, even though he cost 45 million US dollars.
The studio has a delicious structure, including New Leonardo DiCaprio film “One Battle after another” and a new new “Superman” film, which hopes that he can revive his entire DC superhero franchise.
In an almost annual tradition, Paramount will present his latest “Mission: Impossible” film and arrange the inevitable rumors about a Tom Cruise appearance on the stage of the huge auditorium of the casino.
It is unlikely that the company mentions its proposed merger with Skydance. Paramount is included in a lawsuit with Donald Trump’s administration for a CBS news interview with Kamala Harris during the election of last year.
Other studios that are available this week are Universal Pictures with his latest sequels “Jurassic World” and “Wicked” as well as Lionsgate, home of Keanu Reeves’ many “John Wick” films.
Disney will complete the event on Thursday evening with a constantly growing list of Marvel superheroes and a new “Avatar” pequel in December.
AMZ/HG/SST
(Tagstotranslate) Keanu Reeves (T) John Wick (T) Cinemacon (T) Lionsgate (T) Caesars Palace (T) Las Vegas (T) Ralph Fiennes (T) Danny Boyle (T) Theater Owner (T) Jodie Comer