close
close
The real reason Prince Harry and Meghan Markle decided to stay home for Christmas

They were home for the holidays.

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle enjoyed a quiet Christmas in California with children Archie, 5, and Lilibet, 3 – despite reports that they have been invited to spend the festive period with relatives in the UK.

Royal biographer Ingrid Seward told The Mirror: “Harry and Meghan were invited to Christmas in Althorp with thrice-married (Princess Diana’s brother) Uncle Charles, now Earl Spencer, but decided to stay in California.”

“Meghan says it’s important to her that Archie and Lilibet have ‘bonding memories’ at Thanksgiving and Christmas at home and can enjoy traditions like laying out ‘carrots for the reindeer,'” Sewartd explained.

September 14, 2023, North Rhine-Westphalia, Düsseldorf: Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, and his wife Meghan, Duchess of Sussex. dpa/picture Alliance via Getty Images
Britain’s Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, and Britain’s Duchess Meghan pose for a photo while attending the program at the Armed Forces Complex in Abuja, Nigeria, May 11, 2024. Anadolu via Getty Images

However, Harry and Meghan reportedly enjoyed the day with the actress’ mother, Doria, at their home in Montecito.

As for Prince Harry’s relatives, all working members of the royal family gathered at St. Mary Magdalene Church on the Sandringham Estate in Norfolk on Christmas Day.

King Charles, 76, and Queen Camilla, 77, who have attended morning mass at Sandringham Church every Christmas for years, were accompanied by Prince William, Kate Middleton and their three children: Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis.

Prince Charles, Prince of Wales, Prince William, Duke of Cambridge, Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, Meghan, Duchess of Sussex and Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex attend the Christmas service at St. Mary Magdalene Church at Sandringham on December 25 -Estate part, 2018 in King’s Lynn, England. Samir Hussein/WireImage

The monarch and his wife led the royal family’s walk for the third year, with the royal family greeting the public along the way.

Princess Anne, the Princess Royal, was also in attendance, as was her daughter Zara Tindall and her former rugby player husband Mike Tindall. Prince Edward and his wife Sophie, the Duchess of Edinburgh, also attended the service.

One well-wisher, John Loughrey, spoke to Sky News about his experience with Kate, remarking: “I’m on top of the world.”

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have released the first photo of their daughter Lilibet on their celebratory menu.
Alexi Lubomirski / Duke and Duke

“I told Catherine she was an inspiration. She thanked me and said she liked my badges,” he added.

The family is coming to the end of a difficult year as both the King and Princess have been diagnosed with cancer.

Last February, Buckingham Palace announced that Charles had been diagnosed with cancer and had begun treatment. The cancer was discovered in January after he underwent elective surgery to treat a benign enlarged prostate.

“I would like to thank you very much for the many messages of support and good wishes I have received over the last few days,” he said in a statement at the time. “As every cancer survivor knows, such kind thoughts are the greatest comfort and encouragement.”

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex in the Merkur Spiel-Arena during the Invictus Games in Düsseldorf, Germany. Picture date: Wednesday September 13, 2023. PA images via Getty Images

In March, Kate revealed that she had also been undergoing cancer treatment for about a month. In September, the Princess of Wales announced that she had finished chemotherapy.

“I can’t tell you what a relief it is to finally have completed my chemotherapy,” she shared in a statement on X at the time.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *